Holiday (noun) is known as:
- A period of time spent away from home for enjoyment and relaxation
- (Often plural) Chiefly Brit & NZ a period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest or recreation
- A day on which work is suspended by law or custom, such as a bank holiday
By Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
School Assignment (noun) is defined as:
- A school task performed by a student to satisfy the teacher
By WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
Nightmare (noun) is known as:
- A dream arousing feelings of intense fear, horror, and distress.
- An event or experience that is intensely distressing.
- A demon or spirit once thought to plague sleeping people.
This coming Secondary School Mid-Year Holiday is from 29 May 2009 till 28 June 2009, almost the same as the Great Singapore Sales. It is supposed to be a period in which a break is taken from work or studies for the students. Students can take this opportunity to catch up with what they are weak in and have the rest of the time for rest or recreation activities.
Unfortunately this is not the case. The schools have been very enthusiastic in preparing and creating new lessons, worksheets, assignments, forums and quiz for almost every subject to be carried out by the students during the holiday period. Just to name a few subjects, English, Chemistry, Physics, Social Studies, E-Maths, A-Maths, Chinese, ..... For Chinese, they have to read two story books and complete the online assignments.
We are to suppose that the teachers would like to have their holidays and put the plight of their students to the back of their mind. The MOE has the slogan "Teach less, Learn more", which they intend to strictly adhere to. After all, a fully paid holiday is hard to come by, especially during this recession period. Brown harvests and green shoots have no value if there are iron bowls full of rice. Ah Kong's money seems to be easily planned and obtained.
Two headed tree ?
Estimated number of days available = 20
Time required per day = 224 ÷ 20 = 11.2 hours
This hour is 100% more than that of a normal 5.5hrs school day.
The student also has another 5 days of school related activities to attend.
It will be a very exhausting holiday.
- Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006 - Holiday definition
- WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University - school assignment definition.