Monday, August 22, 2011

Sold on excellent Thai service

MY PAPER MONDAY AUGUST 22, 2011, PAGE A15, VIEWPOINTS
From
http://epaper.mypaper.sg/cnd/fvxen/fvxp/fvxpress.php?param=2011-08-22
Source Website:
http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/features/736922/Sold_on_excellent_Thai_service.html
By
Geoff Tan, my paper | Mon, Aug 22 2011



PHOTO: Sold on excellent Thai service
http://static.relax.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/relax/736922/topImage/Sold_on_excellent_Thai_service-topImage.jpg
http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/features/736922/Sold_on_excellent_Thai_service.html



PHOTO: Geoff Tan
The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings’ marketing division.

MY PAPER MONDAY AUGUST 22, 2011, PAGE A15, VIEWPOINTS


I can't help but rave once more about its people's warm and affable hospitality.

HAVING just returned from my annual golfing holiday to Thailand, I can't help but rave once more about its people's warm and affable hospitality.

Last year, I wrote about what I called the khob kun kha culture - because just about every encounter ends with khob kun kha (thank you) in "the Land of a Thousand Smiles".

In particular, I mentioned a foot reflexologist who had waded through a flash flood to hail a taxi for me and my friends, without expecting anything in return.

She even made sure that the driver reversed the vehicle as close to the kerb as possible, so that we could enter it without getting our feet wet.

This year, my friends and I encountered many more examples of such excellent service during our five-day trip.

From going out of their way to make additional arrangements for us, to taking the time to point us in the right direction, Thai service staff are exceptional.

One incident that really stood out occurred when I was shopping for Apple accessories at MBK Centre, a huge shopping mall in Bangkok.

I saw a floral iPad cover that I really liked. After much bargaining, I negotiated the price from 1,800 baht (S$72) to 1,500 baht.

I paid happily and continued shopping - only to be confronted with the same product being sold in another shop.

"1,000 baht each. If you buy two, I give you for 900 baht each!" the salesgirl said.

That was when I felt cheated by the staff of the first shop. I quickly bought two more covers.

I decided to storm back to the first shop to give the salesman a piece of my mind.

However, he flashed a big smile when he saw me approaching, which was enough for me to ditch my aggressive stance.

I explained to him that I felt taken for a ride and showed him the products and receipt from the other shop. He examined them and then consulted his boss.

Looking a little embarrassed, his boss reached for his money pouch.

I thought he was going to match the price of 900 baht and give me a 600-baht refund. Instead, he apologised, handed me 1,500 baht and said that he would take the product back.

I was stunned by what had just happened. I thought immediately: What would have happened if a similar situation had occurred in Singapore?

It was my turn to feel embarrassed. The boss then explained to me that he could not sell the cover at 900 baht, because the shop had bought it for more.

I left MBK Centre, happy, impressed and determined to spread the word about the culture of good service in Thailand, where people show a natural and genuine humility without the need for national campaigns.

Khob kun kha, Thailand! I am sold, once again.
By Geoff Tan, my paper | Mon, Aug 22 2011

The writer is a senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings’ marketing division.


HELPDESK
我的字典: Wǒ de zì diǎn


Hospitality: 招待 - zhāo dài
Foot reflexologist: 脚底按摩师 - jiǎo dǐ àn mó shī
Floral: 花纹图案的 - huā wén tú àn de
Consulted: 咨询 - zī xún


Reference