Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan (Week 2), 12-16 December 2016 - Reflection

By Bernard Goh - My week 2 attachment in the Nursing course


All patients, whether stroke victims, patients with brain and spinal injuries, and diabetic patients - the center’s end goal for its patients is for them to return to their homes after rehabilitation and have the same quality of life as they did before they were admitted.
PHOTO: All patients, whether stroke victims, patients with brain and spinal injuries, and diabetic patients - the center’s end goal for its patients is for them to return to their homes after rehabilitation and have the same quality of life as they did before they were admitted.
I believe that is the goal of every healthcare professional, and it is mine too. Life already has its measure of problems and troubles. Adding more can only aggravate the sufferings and agony. The staffs at Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan know this, and tremendous effort have been make to ensure that the patients recover with minimum pains and discomforts during their difficult time.
CN PHOTO: Cristopher Teh
Picture posted by Nathan Calvert on 5 September 2011 at 1:15 pm

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjgyZsUhYlxDdgHuT8Kq8iUw_BN5jJ0S8CSKxp_ENwIgeBEu-tfoLwdeU1OVDta0idqEOU_14_EGPhA-LAHSe1dKVi5H3XOgIF1eE2cAi8fb4ul_GCkD-1uEEJjliojn0_zX6-Z_1L3rpp-/s1600/timthumb.php.jpg
https://www.citynews.sg/wp-content/themes/_patterns/timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.citynews.sg%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimg1376.jpg&q=90&w=650&h=400&zc=1
https://www.citynews.sg/author/nathan-calvert/



After reflecting on my actions and experience in Week 1, I have come back with the intention to better myself again this week. To polish up my skills even further and to try more skills as well. Additionally, I hope to gain deeper understanding of my patients as well as building better rapport with them.



A 12-year-old who prefers volunteering to gaming
PHOTO: A 12-year-old who prefers volunteering to gaming
While many primary school boys spent the last June holidays playing computer games, 12-year-old Chia Yun Shan chose to spend every weekday of his break volunteering at the Thye Hua Kwan Bedok Radiance Senior Activity Centre (THK-BRSAC) instead.
This heartfelt action from a small boy prompt me to focus on the many soft sides of a caregiver. Personal warm and tender touches goes a long way into a person's heart. No words can adequately describe the gratefulness of the one at the receiving end.
Who do you remember when you are injured terribly during an army training or accident? The one who provide relief and nurse you back to health from the otherwise distressful situation. This include the patient's mother and the rest of the healthcare personnel. Doctors, Nurses, Medics and other medical staffs are well known for providing 'mother-instinct' care at the darkest hour and most dangerous places. Such healthcare people can be found at Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan. Just point to any staff, and you will find out their vital link to those in need.
Posted by feecha.com
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgHxWBO49Ho-v8OgHZZspQ2WRq9GIPrP85mrvfKX3NrdW4ifR40j0YJbdcLhGTG3lx1vJim4JCnP7bK0LXKjJNr679pw_8SXtqgO0iW7-AQlwFARYPS9Kq2BGK_KBKdOlTTzDxcC9D6qq5q/s1600/f44847115_a21bd898-d2f9-4c7b-ae6a-a8d3820d07f0_l.jpg
http://ddbkk8h3jgdiz.cloudfront.net/feecha/44847115/f44847115_a21bd898-d2f9-4c7b-ae6a-a8d3820d07f0_l.jpg
http://www.feecha.com/single/5395557497438208



One thing that changed over the first week that was especially delightful to me was how much my patient has opened up to me. I realized that although in our eyes they are patients, by communicating with them as though they are just a normal person helps to bridge the gap as well. This is because they do not see us as just merely completing the task and leave but bother to engage in casual conversation with them.



Words of comfort rest gently upon the heart, and in time they become words of healing.
PHOTO: Words of comfort rest gently upon the heart, and in time they become words of healing. A gentle word of empathy promotes strong bonding between patient and caregiver. Many difficult situations and cold environments change simply by this magical human conversation. Some call it as breaking the ice, or tunnelling through mountains of difficulties. A smile and courteous greeting warms the patient who will reciprocate likewise. While our seniors in Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan communicate to patients with proficiency and competence, we follow their footsteps.
Picture posted by Streetdirectory.com
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjYKDKXeytjN5KUMNc9QnzfFe3E_iWVPUOL_FgwrJCiwtZf9NcSX2QmbzHEuE41J2SAPxV-wYG1IXjAVz636JAuGpk-vMN5ZEH_bO-uJZLWTAiUu1hIx63D_BPV2-BGeBEmhbAG_WQ9Nfrn/s1600/13805130400907.jpg
http://x1.sdimgs.com/simage/13805130400907.jpg
http://www.streetdirectory.com/stock_images/travel/preview/13805130400907/111078/ang_mo_kio_thye_hua_kwan_hospital/



As the 2nd week passed, we were gradually being tested for proficiency of our skills and theory as well. With the proper and heartwarming guidance from our CI, we were able to perform most of the task well. Personally, I felt that the attachment was so fruitful largely due to the responsibility of our CI as well. Without they constant care and encouragement, we may not have come so far in our 1st attachment.



Our theory knowledge is effectively use with the guidance of our Clinical Instructor.
PHOTO: Our theory knowledge is effectively use with the guidance of our Clinical Instructor. Caregivers are also human. They need support through out the journey of their profession. The long and tedious development path requires encouragement and understanding from their patients too. At Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan caregiver are also given opportunity to grow and become more mature worker by helping to care for patients who need support after being discharge from the hospitals. The practical skills learned will benefit other patients. This is the care sharing experience that will raise the standard of healthcare in the community.
Picture posted by WorldInCare.com
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg_mOIC4Df0kIfqX1lLGXO_r2JTYvojwWI-XYHA96O5yZK9bx5jh_TOuN-2UPMYrN0FbmgEDOGVhDg-itJjEJebpqZGAD6_myGYGxSU9ZflLzQV0jPIMIY8L4SI4y5CuuvNjp6GBk6VSQLB/s1600/Thye-Hua-Kwan-Moral-Society-THK2.jpg
http://worldincare.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Thye-Hua-Kwan-Moral-Society-THK2.jpg
http://worldincare.com/blog/care-home/thye-hua-kwan-moral-charities/



Another thing that I would like to reflect on is a hurdle that I manage to cross which was faced in week 1. I was attending to a female patient together with my colleagues. The patient who was on braces for her injuries requested to be adjusted to a more comfortable position to consume her meals. Sounds simple enough, but to my surprise I was stuck. As a guy, I was hesitant with regards to how much strength I should use and how should I position her properly while taking note of her injuries. Being faced with such a task which is probably simple to many others, I called other nurses to assist instead as I wondered how I should do it better next time.


Thankfully, I manage to overcome it in week 2 as I employed my communication techniques as well as empowering the patient to assist herself. It didn’t come instinctively at first but now I know better what to do.


The problem to adjust a patient to a more comfortable position is by making use of communication techniques and encouraging the patient to assist in the process.
PHOTO: The problem to adjust a patient to a more comfortable position is by making use of communication techniques and encouraging the patient to assist in the process. As a 2nd week attachment student, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction to be able to handle this task independently. Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan give me this opportunity to learn, develop and excel. The environment and timing is right to put theoretical knowledge into practice.
Picture posted by WorldInCare.com
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg40VpiTw31j7OYYRYAcKuEyHZgmyyfooEpokSzXCqycufbuuRj7glPLfdrnNcxF5Km4oVTo_LA0pv7xL10yn2GUPNDrwSAaojHsbznNoiZOC2BGbUMh1Fk3HwyJm3PK47Xmut5kZYdK0r_/s1600/Thye-Hua-Kwan-Moral-Society-THK.jpg
http://worldincare.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Thye-Hua-Kwan-Moral-Society-THK.jpg
http://worldincare.com/blog/care-home/thye-hua-kwan-moral-charities/



Overall, I felt that the main take away from the attachment isn’t just about completing skills and settling one patient after another. If so, it would just be a very dry cycle every day. I choose to appreciate the process in which I helped to nurse the patient in every way possible as of my current abilities. I enjoy talking to patients to know how they think and learning their languages. Through this 2 weeks, I’ve gained more self-confidence although there is still much more to learn, but I’m glad I manage to take my first few steps into the world of nursing with positivity and I hope that eventually one day I will be able to inspire others as well.



Through this 2 weeks, I’ve gained self-confidence as a nursing student while talking to staffs and patients.
PHOTO: Through this 2 weeks, I’ve gained self-confidence as a nursing student while talking to staffs and patients. The wonderful experience included learning patients' dialects and languages. Now I am able to communicate with many aunties and uncles using simple words in their particular form of languages. There are also many interesting events taking place in the hospital.
Everyday there was something interesting to look forward to.
PHOTO: Everyday there was something interesting to look forward to. I really missed the aunties and uncles whom I have been assigned to look after. I know I will be very happy to see them again when we meet again. One of the uncles will be in my memory for a long time because he give me a beautiful heart-shape paper cutting. The aunties even demanded to have their group photograph taken with us!
 
I managed to enter into the world of nursing with desirable outcome, and I hope the day will come when I become the one to inspire and instruct others.
Picture taken at Ang Mo Kio Thye Hwa Kuan before our fond farewell.
By Bernard Goh - My week 2 attachment in the Nursing course



Reference